Wednesday, January 2, 2013

1-2-2013 Vol. 6 Part 52 Book of Romans (Romans 15:22-33)

Note: To download/print the document, click on the title below.


Psalms 86:1-17 A Prayer of David. Bow down Your ear, O LORD, hear me; For I am poor and needy. Preserve my life, for I am holy; You are my God; Save Your servant who trusts in You! Be merciful to me, O Lord, For I cry to You all day long. Rejoice the soul of Your servant, For to You, O Lord, I lift up my soul. For You, Lord, are good, and ready to forgive, And abundant in mercy to all those who call upon You. Give ear, O LORD, to my prayer; And attend to the voice of my supplications. In the day of my trouble I will call upon You, For You will answer me. Among the gods there is none like You, O Lord; Nor are there any works like Your works. All nations whom You have made Shall come and worship before You, O Lord, And shall glorify Your name. For You are great, and do wondrous things; You alone are God. Teach me Your way, O LORD; I will walk in Your truth; Unite my heart to fear Your name. I will praise You, O Lord my God, with all my heart, And I will glorify Your name forevermore. For great is Your mercy toward me, And You have delivered my soul from the depths of Sheol. O God, the proud have risen against me, And a mob of violent men have sought my life, And have not set You before them. But You, O Lord, are a God full of compassion, and gracious, Longsuffering and abundant in mercy and truth. Oh, turn to me, and have mercy on me! Give Your strength to Your servant, And save the son of Your maidservant. Show me a sign for good, That those who hate me may see it and be ashamed, Because You, LORD, have helped me and comforted me. Father God, we thank you for sending your only begotten Son to us. I ask that you pour out your blessing upon your children in 2013 and those that just know you will turn that knowledge into a personal relationship with you. We give you all the glory and praise. Amen!
Romans 15:22-33 NKJV
The year 2013 has arrived. I hoped all enjoyed the Birthday Celebration of Jesus and the bringing in the New Year with loved ones. I pray that all is well with you and your family and the New Year will be one filled with blessings from God.
The last couple lessons we had involved Paul talking to seasoned believers and new believers in the fact that seasoned believers are to help new believers understand what scripture means. Seasoned believers are to conduct their lives in such a manner that they are to be an example to the new believers so they don’t stumble and fall in their faith. The rest of this letter to the Romans Paul is telling the brothers and sisters in Rome that he is on his way to them, he is requesting prayer, and giving guidance pertaining to who will be with him (Chapter 16).
22  For this reason I also have been much hindered from coming to you.
We know from previous lessons Paul’s mission was to preach the Gospel in places where it hadn’t been preached yet. He was led by the Spirit of God to do this and now he finally had preached in all areas that the Holy Spirit directed him to preach. During this time Paul had run into many situations that cause him hindrances in preaching the Gospel. We know that he was greatly persecuted and at times was near death. It was because of the persecuted times that required time to heal from his wounds and the vast area of travel that hindered him from going to his Roman brethren.
23  But now no longer having a place in these parts, and having a great desire these many years to come to you,
Paul is simply stating that he had preached the Gospel in all of the area that he was led to preach in by the Holy Spirit and at last he could travel to Rome which he desired for quite some time. This desire that he had to go to Rome was also inspired by the Holy Spirit and directed Paul in that direction. Do you remember why Paul wanted to go to Rome? He stated this in Chapter One; Romans 1:9-13 For God is my witness, whom I serve with my spirit in the gospel of His Son, that without ceasing I make mention of you always in my prayers,  10 making request if, by some means, now at last I may find a way in the will of God to come to you.  11 For I long to see you, that I may impart to you some spiritual gift, so that you may be established— 12 that is, that I may be encouraged together with you by the mutual faith both of you and me.  13 Now I do not want you to be unaware, brethren, that I often planned to come to you (but was hindered until now), that I might have some fruit among you also, just as among the other Gentiles.
24  whenever I journey to Spain, I shall come to you. For I hope to see you on my journey, and to be helped on my way there by you, if first I may enjoy your company for a while.
Paul not only wants to go to Rome, but his master plan or I should say the leading of the Holy Spirit is actually directing him to Spain. The Holy Spirit is having him stop by Rome on his way to Spain for some particular reasons. There are several reasons why he is to stop by Rome on his way to Spain. 1) For some fellowship, directing, and clarifying of the Gospel to his brethren and sisters in faith (verses 11 and 12 above) 2) To preaching the Gospel to his Roman Jewish brothers and sisters and anyone else that would listen that weren’t yet believers. (This is the fruit that he speaks of in verse 13 above.) 3) To be helped on his way to Spain by his fellow believers. What this help consists of we don’t really know. Maybe it was financial assistance for the journey, but was more likely for fellow believers to go with him. In all of Paul’s other evangelizing travels he started churches where there were no churches. I feel he was looking for fellow believers to go with him and to stay at certain destinations to develop and grow the churches Paul would be starting.
25  But now I am going to Jerusalem to minister to the saints.
26  For it pleased those from Macedonia and Achaia to make a certain contribution for the poor among the saints who are in Jerusalem.
Paul goes on to explain another delay that he will have and that is to take a money contribution to the believers in Jerusalem. The believers in Jerusalem were having a very difficult time due to the Sanhedrin and their unbelief. The believers in Macedonia and Achaia were touched by the correspondence that was coming to them from Jerusalem and were led by the Holy Spirit to take up a contribution to help out their fellow brothers and sisters in faith.
When a person gives their heart to Jesus, it is the love of Jesus that takes up residence within ones heart that leads a believer to help out other believers. They do it because they want to do these good things not because they think they should. There is a huge difference here, one being done out of love, the other being done in order to gain favor from God by doing something. When one does it out of love of the spirit and expects nothing in return, it shows the fruit of a saved person. When one does something out of love but expects something in return like the good deed pleasing God, this is works of the flesh, it shows the fruit of the flesh and an unsaved person. For example, if one has to wrestle with how much to put in the tithing basket thinking 10% is too much. Then what is your faith based on? Is it Jesus Christ and the finished work of the Cross, on mans doctrine, on self? Ephesians 2:8-9 For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God,  9 not of works, lest anyone should boast.
27  It pleased them indeed, and they are their debtors. For if the Gentiles have been partakers of their spiritual things, their duty is also to minister to them in material things.
This verse is speaking of the believers in Macedonia and Achaia being happy to help out fellow believers in Jerusalem because they viewed themselves as being in debt to the Jewish people there. Why, because God had raised up the Jewish people to receive and accept the Gospel of the Cross. Even though the majority of the Jews rejected Jesus and who He was, some did accept Him. It was these Jewish people that accepted Jesus and the Gospel and went out and spread the Good News to the Gentiles. If it weren’t for these few the Gospel wouldn’t have been spread to the Gentile nations. This is why these people felt in debt to the Jewish believers in Jerusalem. They were able to partake of the same Spiritual things as God’s chosen people. So as a result of this gratitude they were led by the Holy Spirit to help out with the necessities of life for those in Jerusalem. This is so right that the church is to help out those that are in need in their own congregations, but this is something we never hear of these days. Now don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying to help those that don’t want to work and are lazy. I’m talking about helping true believers that love the Lord and fall into hard times like losing their jobs, unexpected vehicle repairs, clothing, food, etc., because the Bible states that if we don’t work we aren’t to be supported by the church. 2 Thessalonians 3:7-10 For you yourselves know how you ought to follow us, for we were not disorderly among you;  8 nor did we eat anyone's bread free of charge, but worked with labor and toil night and day, that we might not be a burden to any of you,  9 not because we do not have authority, but to make ourselves an example of how you should follow us.  10 For even when we were with you, we commanded you this: If anyone will not work, neither shall he eat.
28  Therefore, when I have performed this and have sealed to them this fruit, I shall go by way of you to Spain.
What is this fruit and where does it come from that Paul is speaking about. This fruit is produced by the Holy Spirit within the believer. Anything a believer produces by the workings of the Holy Spirit is fruit. This contribution of money that Paul is dropping off in Jerusalem is fruit of the Holy Spirit.
Did Paul make it to Spain? We don’t know for sure, some historians say he did, but there is no proof that he did. We do know that Paul was martyred in Rome.
29  But I know that when I come to you, I shall come in the fullness of the blessing of the gospel of Christ.
Paul is stating here that when he finishes up the task at Jerusalem he would then be coming to them in the fullness and blessings of the Holy Spirit. He was absolutely positive and had no doubt that he was to go to Rome because of the leading of the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit had messages and spiritual gifts He wanted to convey and give to the church in Rome via Paul.
This thought has just entered my mind and I don’t know why, but I’m wondering where Peter was? If, and I say if Peter was the first Pope, and all Pope’s resided in Rome, then why is Paul being sent to Rome to deliver and reinforce the Gospel of Jesus Christ? Where is Peter? Why wouldn’t Peter be called to deliver these messages if he resided in Rome? Not once has he been mentioned. I view Peter as the first leader of the Church that was formed at the day of Pentecost. Peter and many other appointed leaders after Peter were martyred for centuries following Jesus resurrection, because of the preaching of the Gospel and its truth. In studying history from different sources, and keeping an open mind some say the first recognized Pope came on the scene around 600 AD. I don’t have an answer for these questions, and why these questions came to mind, I do not know. I think it is something the Holy Spirit wanted to bring out and open our minds, loosen our stiff necks, and soften our hard hearts pertaining to denominational religious beliefs.
 30  Now I beg you, brethren, through the Lord Jesus Christ, and through the love of the Spirit, that you strive together with me in prayers to God for me,
31  that I may be delivered from those in Judea who do not believe, and that my service for Jerusalem may be acceptable to the saints,
Paul is now turning things around in the fact that at the present time he was anticipating some tribulations. Previous to this verse there is no indication that he was or would be hampered from coming to them. Now he is beseeching prayer from his fellow brethren that the unbelievers in Judea will do him no harm so that he can proceed with his mission of coming to them promptly.
The unbelieving Jews in Judea had been opposed to Paul’s conversion. They could not forget that he had borne letters of commission from them to persecute the Christians at Damascus. They regarded him as an apostate. They had heard of his success among the Gentiles, and they had been informed that he taught all the Jews among the Gentiles to forsake the laws of Moses. Acts 21:21 but they have been informed about you that you teach all the Jews who are among the Gentiles to forsake Moses, saying that they ought not to circumcise their children nor to walk according to the customs. Therefore, the apostle was aware that returning to Judea, he would exposed himself to special dangers.
Why was Paul asking for prayer that the believers in Jerusalem would receive the offerings that the believers in Macedonia and Achaia were sending? It ties right in with the concerns Paul had traveling through Judea. Paul was preaching the Gospel of Jesus Christ and the finished work of the Cross. It was not religion. It was salvation by faith, in what and why Jesus died in our place on the Cross. The Jewish brethren viewed Paul’s teaching as going against the Law of Moses. It was because of this Paul thought that the Jewish brethren in Jerusalem may not want anything to do with him and Gentile offerings. Many of the converts from Judaism may have still been clinging onto some of their religious rites. Some may have retained their former feelings that the Gentiles were polluted, and that they shouldn’t have any fellowship with them. Some newly converted Christians retain former notions long after their conversion and often many years are required for opinions and prejudices to wear off. This is what sanctification is all about. When a person is Born Again some beliefs are brought forth in ones heart by the Holy Spirit and are eliminated immediately while other things may take a year or several years to come to fruition. It is a testing of faith and steadfastness. 1 Peter 1:6-7 In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while, if need be, you have been grieved by various trials,  7 that the genuineness of your faith, being much more precious than gold that perishes, though it is tested by fire, may be found to praise, honor, and glory at the revelation of Jesus Christ,
32  that I may come to you with joy by the will of God, and may be refreshed together with you.
33  Now the God of peace be with you all. Amen.
These two verses are simply stating that it is the will of God that Paul is to go to Rome. With the leading of God’s Spirit Paul will arrive there and be refreshed in spirit through fellowship with his believing brothers and sisters in Rome.
Romans 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ,
for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes…...
Psalms 51:10 Create in me a clean heart, O God, And renew a steadfast spirit within me.
John 3:3 Jesus answered and said to him, "Most assuredly, I say to you,
unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God."
Bill Wiesbrock
Last Week’s Trivia: Who were the other two Adonijah’s?
Answer: The second Adonijah was a Levite sent by King Jehoshaphat to teach the Law in the cities of Judah in an effort to reform the nation in 914 B.C. 2 Chronicles 17:8. The third Adonijah was one of the chiefs who signed the covenant with Nehemiah after the Exile, promising to keep the Law. Nehemiah 10:16.
This week’s Trivia: Who was Adoniram?

No comments:

Post a Comment