Saturday, January 5, 2013

The Sabbath

Note: To download/print the document, click on the title below.



First I want to applaud Cathy. You used some of the same scripture I was pulling together. You did a great job and I will try to expand a little farther on this topic. Thank You!
After I was Born Again (Spiritual Birth) I searched for the Sabbath in the New Testament for nearly a month and then one day the Holy Spirit revealed it to me. I could find reference to all the other Ten Commandments in the New Testament and they are all still viable, but I could not find a clear understanding of the Sabbath. This is because Jesus is the Sabbath. He is the Lord of the Sabbath. He is the creator of the Sabbath. The Sabbath was created for man to rest in the Sabbath. Jesus came to earth to give us rest in Him when we are Born Again (In other words becoming True Believers, are Saved, have a Spiritual Birth, or become True Christians are all interchangeable terms meaning Born Again.). When we fully understand in our heart and not just a head knowledge of why Jesus came, and had to died on the Cross in our place, then and only then can we place our faith in the finished works of the Cross and totally rest in Jesus arms.
Lets define what the Sabbath is and its purpose. The Sabbath was created for man to rest from his toils, cares, and anxieties of the world. It is to give him an opportunity to shift his attention from earthly concerns to the affairs of eternal life. It was a kind provision for man that he might refresh his body by relaxing his labors, that he might have undisturbed time to seek the consolation of God to cheer him in the anxieties and sorrows of a troubled world, and that he might render to God that homage which is most justly due to him as the Creator, Preserver, Benefactor, and Redeemer of the world. With this being said thus far I think you are probably starting to get a clear picture of the Sabbath in New Testament times. Mark 2:27 KJV And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath.
In the Old Testament the 7th day of the week, Saturday, was the Sabbath. People of the Apostles times, speaking of the Jewish people not the Gentiles, were living by trying to keep the laws and not placing their faith in God. Living by faith is what Abraham and Job did. The book of Job is truly an inspiration for those that think their life is tuff and want to see what true faith is. Job never doubted God and was faithful to the end.
In the New Testament Jesus became the Sabbath when He died for us on the Cross. Jesus was the perfect sacrifice because He was without sin. He defeated Satan and had to die in our place because no matter how hard we try, we cannot help but sin. Why, because of the fall of Adam every human being born on earth is born with a sin nature/original sin. This is why we cannot keep the Ten Commandments and be righteous in Gods eyes. In God’s eyes if we break one Commandment, it is like breaking them all. If we pop a grape or two in our mouth at the grocery store to see which bunch is sweeter, we become a thief, we have stolen. In God’s eyes we aren’t any better than a murderer. James 2:10 KJV For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all. This is why Jesus died on the Cross for us. He defeated Satan and because He did this He performed this act of love and sacrifice, so that whosoever believes in this and places their faith in Jesus and what he did on the Cross can have eternal life. John 3:3-7 KJV Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.  4 Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born?  5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.  6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.  7 Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again. John 3:16 KJV For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
Ok are you with me so far? I hope so. Now we have established that Jesus is the Sabbath and the following verses should make sense. Mark 2:28 KJV Therefore the Son of man is Lord also of the Sabbath. Matthew 11:28-30 KJV Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.  29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.  30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light. Hebrews 4:10 KJV For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his. To clarify this verse in our English terms; all who have entered into God's rest have rested from their labors, just as God did after creating the world.
This now brings us to what day of the week in New Testament times, is the Sabbath? There are two frames of mind. One is being the first day of the week which is what the Apostles and the True Church of God (that was started on the day of Pentecost; Book of Acts), observed. The other Paul talks about in the Book of Romans, and I will get to that farther on. Jesus rose on the first day of the week (Sunday), the first gathering of the Apostles was on the first day of the week, the believers in Acts gathered on the first day of the week, etc. I really don’t know if Constantine declared the first day of the week as the Sabbath, but I do know that approximately 312 AD he declared that all of the Roman Empire, which was pretty much all of Europe at that time, to convert to Christianity. Here is just a few of the verses that verify the first day of the week. The resurrection; Matthew 28:1 KJV In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre. John 20:17-19 KJV Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.  18 Mary Magdalene came and told the disciples that she had seen the Lord, and that he had spoken these things unto her. 19 Then the same day at evening, being the first day of the week, when the doors were shut where the disciples were assembled for fear of the Jews, came Jesus and stood in the midst, and saith unto them, Peace be unto you. Acts 20:7 KJV And upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight. 1Corinthians 16:1 ,2 KJV Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I have given order to the churches of Galatia, even so do ye. 2 Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come. Upon the first day of the week let everyone of you lay by him in store, is referring to their gathering together on the first day of the week for fellowship and worship. Paul was talking about tithing.
Now to conclude this with what day in current times is actually the Sabbath. This is where Paul’s statement to the Romans comes in. Romans 14:5 KJV One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind. This verse came to life for me after I was Born Again and came to understand the Sabbath. After I had my Spiritual Birth I couldn’t get enough of God’s Word and to this day I still spend an average of 1-2 hours daily in the Word. First thing I think of when I wake up in the morning is Jesus, the last thing on my mind before going to sleep is Jesus, when I wake up in the middle of the night, Jesus is on my mind. Because of the love I have for Jesus and the thankfulness of Him dying on the Cross in my place, every day is the Sabbath, and I also go to fellowship with other True Believes and worship our Lord on Sunday because of this love.
About now your thinking that is a lot of time in the Word, and yes it is. I only watch a couple hours of TV per week which is my choosing because of the garbage that is on it. My heart’s desire is to spread the Gospel of Jesus Christ and help people fully understand what the Bible says. That is why I put together email Bible Studies, post Bible Studies on a blog that goes worldwide, and conduct Bible Studies.
So with that said a Born Again Saint can pick any or all days of the week to deem as the Sabbath because Jesus is the Sabbath and we rest in His arms when we place our total faith in Him for all things as Job did. Just don’t fall back into the old way of thinking and go back to practicing law and mans principles. Paul warns us about this in Galatians because the Jewish people there were invoking the converts of True Christianity to go back to honoring Saturday as the Sabbath. The Jewish people and some religion of today are still trying to live by law and not faith. Galatians 4:9 KJV But now, after that ye have known God, or rather are known of God, how turn ye again to the weak and beggarly elements, whereunto ye desire again to be in bondage? What this verse is saying in plain English is this; now that you know God, and have had a spiritual birth, why are you turning back to those weak and miserable principles of religion and manmade laws? Do you wish to be enslaved by them all over again like you were before you came to know and believe in Jesus Christ and the finished work of the Cross?  Why are you  observing special days and months and seasons and years?
I truly hope I have explained this in a fashion to be understood by all. Sometimes I fail miserably in explaining what scripture is saying. Feel free to contact me if I didn’t explain a part for full comprehension.
God Bless!
Romans 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ,
for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes…...
Psalms 51:10 Create in me a clean heart, O God, And renew a steadfast spirit within me.
John 3:3 Jesus answered and said to him, "Most assuredly, I say to you,
unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God."
Bill Wiesbrock

John 1:4 KJV In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 The same was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. 4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men. 

No comments:

Post a Comment